Do You Know How To Put A Grease Fire Out...?
Grease fires happen when oil, grease or fat get hot enough to ignite. Grease fires can be extremely dangerous because grease is a liquid that can easily spread. If you suspect the fire is larger than you can handle contact 9-1-1.
NEVER THROW WATER ONTO A GREASE FIRE THIS CAN CAUSE THE FIRE TO WORSEN.
Steps to take if this happens to you:
- Turn off the Stove – If you’re cooking and a pot catches fire, the first step is to remove the heat source. Turn off the burner or oven. (If your grease fire is in the oven, leave the door closed.) A fire can reignite if it’s not smothered.
- Cover with a Lid – Using a metal pan lid or baking sheet can be another to way to cut off oxygen to a grease fire. Do not use any type of Kitchen fabric the material may catch fire.ALWAYS avoid using glass or ceramic pan lids these materials can shatter.
- Products to use –Baking soda or salt can help to extinguish the fire; however this would require smothering the fire with salt or baking soda to fully extinguish the fire. Sometimes it’s easier and more effective to quickly find a lid & cover the fire.*DO NOT USE FLOUR OR BAKING POWDER as these products are highly combustible and can explode.*
- It is always recommended to have a fire extinguisher close by.